The 7 Best Free Party Game Apps for Any Celebratory OccasionReading Time: 6 minutes
Nothing keeps the fun going like a good party game, and we’ve got a list of wonderful games for any occasion. Let’s dive in.
Whether it’s Christmas, a birthday, or any other celebration, playing games to keep friends and family entertained is vital for a successful party.
We’ve pulled together a selection of the best free party game apps that are easy to set up and suitable for all ages, interests, and gatherings. From frantic fun with friends to games suitable for your grandparents, here are the seven best free party games, available on both Android and iOS.
1. The 7 Second Challenge: Best for Frantic Fun
Based on the original game invented by YouTuber AmazingPhil, the unofficial 7 Second Challenge app is available for free on Android and iOS stores.
This free party game app invites participants to complete fun and quirky challenges within seven seconds. Challenges range from pretty normal (‘Name three films with sequels’) to quirkier requests (‘Give yourself a new hairstyle’). You can also add your own challenges to personalize the game.
You only need one device to play the 7 Second Challenge with your friends. Once you have downloaded the app, follow these steps to get started:
- Tap Play to start a game.
- Tap Normal to play the free version.
- Enter each player’s name and tap the person icon to add.
- Tap Play when all players have been added.
- Read the challenge aloud to the named player.
- Tap Start to begin the seven-second countdown.
- Tap Nailed it or Failed it, depending on whether the player achieved the challenge in seven seconds or not.
See how many seven-second rounds you can win against your friends.
2. UNO!: Best for an All-Inclusive Family Vibe
This free party game app allows you to play a digital version of the classic family card game, UNO!, with real-life friends. Each participant needs to download the app on their own device to play, but luckily the app is compatible across Android, iOS, and Facebook.
If you’re new to UNO! then start with a few practice rounds. Tap I’m new! on the home screen to play a game with step-by-step instructions. This is a handy function if you know how to play but don’t want to spend ages trying to explain the rules to all the family.
It’s simple to play UNO with friends and family at your party:
- Tap Play With Friends.
- Tap Create Room to start your own private UNO game.
- Customize your room by selecting your Total time, Room Mode, Rules, Special Cards, and Privileges.
- Tap Create.
- Share your Room ID with your friends and family, located in the top left of the screen.
- Once your friends and family have joined, tap Start to begin your UNO game.
If you’re a fan of classic games, check out these free online board game sites for more ideas.
3. PSYCH!: Best for Outwitting Friends
PSYCH! is a free party game app where the idea is to bluff your way through trivia questions and outwit your friends. Each player submits their answer to each question (as silly as you like!) then all entries are combined with the one correct answer. From the final selection, all players have to then guess which answer is the right one.
After downloading the app, follow these steps to play PSYCH! together:
- Tap Start Game.
- Tap on a deck to read the description.
- Tap Play on your chosen deck.
- Share the onscreen code with your friends. (They need to tap Join Game on their phones and enter this code).
- Toggle Play with Ellen to include or exclude Ellen Degeneres in your game.
- Tap on the Number of rounds you want to play.
- Tap Start to begin the game.
PSYCH! can be a fun and nonsensical game to play with anyone who enjoys a bit of banter.
4. Trivia 360: Best for a Post-Dinner Vibe
If you’re looking for a quiet post-dinner free party game to play with someone else, then give Trivia 360 a whirl.
Trivia 360 is a simple-to-use quiz app that you can play solo or with a friend across Android and iOS. Simply answer each question within a set amount of time and battle against your friend to become the trivia knowledge champion.
Once you have downloaded the app and set up your profile, follow these steps to play Trivia 360 as a party game:
- Tap Head to Head.
- Tap Challenge Friend.
- Tap the link icon to copy and share your game link with friends.
- Tap Play next to your friend’s icon.
- Tap Start to begin the game and take your turn.
If you manage to exhaust all trivia questions, check out these free fun online quiz sites to keep the party going.
5. Heads Up!: Best for Loud and Hilarious Fun
If you’re feeling energetic, then Heads Up! is the free party game app to break out at your gathering. Holding your phone to your forehead for your teammates to see the answer, you need to guess the displayed word correctly from your teammates’ acting, singing, shouting, and any other means of demonstrating the answer to you.
You only need one copy of the app to play, so we recommend downloading Heads Up! onto an Android device for a free-to-play version.
Follow these steps to start a game:
- Tap on a deck to read the description.
- Tap Play! to choose the deck.
- Tap Turn on Instant Replays! if you want the app to record your teammates as they try to help you guess the answer.
- Alternatively, swipe up to play without instant replays.
- Place your phone on your forehead, with the screen facing your teammates.
- If you guess correctly from your friends’ clues, tilt your phone down to continue to the next question.
- If you cannot guess correctly, tilt your phone upwards to pass.
Watching the replays of your friends and family frantically trying to communicate the answer to you adds to the hilarity of Heads Up!
6. Among Us: Best for Late-Night Vibes
If you’re looking for the juxtaposing blend of teamwork and betrayal, then you need to play Among Us.
Playing in a team of up to 10, you and your crewmates need to complete basic tasks to keep your ship running. One member of the crew, however, is the Imposter and will be trying to kill everyone on board. The crewmates need to pinpoint the Imposter before the game is over.
Once you and your friends or family have downloaded the app, follow these steps to play Among Us:
- Sign in or create an account.
- Choose a Friend Code by tapping the arrows icon to scroll through suggested words. (Once set, this cannot be changed).
- Tap Confirm and then close.
- Tap Local to play with your party friends.
- Tap Create Game.
- Tap Customize in the bottom right-hand corner to edit settings.
- Ask your friends to input your Friend Code to join your game.
Among Us can also be played with remote players by tapping Online on the main screen. You can also play Among Us on your Mac.
7. The New York Times Crossword: Best for Including Your Grandparents
If you’re looking for a free party game app that will appeal to your grandparents, then The New York Times Crossword is a safe bet. You can download a seven-day free trial to The Crossword, which is perfect for a one-off party or to cover the festive season.
Choose between easy, medium, and hard daily crosswords. You can also scroll through the archives to find previous NYT crosswords.
Sit down with your grandparents and follow these steps to play:
- Tap on your chosen crossword. The timer will start immediately.
- Tap the left and right arrows at the bottom of the screen to scroll through crossword clues.
- Use the onscreen keyboard to type in your answers.
- Tap on any crossword square to enter or edit your answer.
- Tap twice on any crossword square to alternate between across and down entries.
You can also access Spelling Bee and the popular Wordle game within the app.
Have Fun at Any Party With These Free Party Game Apps
The key to a good party is to keep the fun going. The above free party game apps are suitable for all types of gatherings and for different guests, and you can choose the appropriate game based on the party vibe.
The only potential issue with free-to-play party apps is the ads, which can interrupt the flow of your game experience. Most of the time this can be overlooked, but if all else fails, you can’t beat a game of charades at a party!